The 92nd Academy Awards will be held on Sunday, February 9, 2020 and will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, California. As you prepare for the big night, why not challenge yourself and try Number 16's tenth annual Oscars quiz. There are 10 questions. Good luck!
NUMBER 16 OSCARS QUIZ
1. Robert De Niro was snubbed at this year's Academy Awards. He did not receive an Oscar nomination for Martin Scorsese's gangster epic The Irishman (Joe Pesci and Al Pacino were nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for their performances in the film). De Niro is the past winner of two Oscars. For which films did Niro win his Oscars?
B. Taxi Driver and The Godfather Part II
C. Raging Bull and The Godfather Part II
D, The King of Comedy, The Deer Hunter
E. Once Upon a Time in America, Raging Bull
2. Who is the only actor to be nominated twice for a Best Actor Oscar.
A, Montgomery Clift
B. James Dean
C. Peter Finch
D. Jean Harlow
E/ Sal Mineo
3. How many times have the Academy Awards been postponed?
C. Three times
D. Four times
4. What year were the Oscars first broadcast in colour?
5. How much does an Oscar statuette weigh?
A, 7 1/2 pounds (3.4 kilograms)
B. 8 1/2 pounds (3.85 kilograms)
C. 6 1/2 pounds (2.94 kilograms)
D. 5 1/2 pounds (2.49 kilograms)
E. 7 pounds (3.17 kilograms)
6. Brad Pitt has been nominated this year for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. In 2012, he received an Oscar for producing the Best Picture - 12 Years a Slave. Has he ever won an Oscar for an acting role?
B. Yes, he won a Best Actor in a Leading Role Award for his performance in Moneyball.
C. Yes, he won a Best Actor in a Leading Role Award for his performance in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
D. Yes, he won a Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in 12 Monkeys.
E. Yes, he has won two Oscars - Best Actor in a Lead Role for Moneyball and Best Actor in a Supporting Role for 12 Monkeys.
7. Kirk Douglas died on February 5, 2020 at the age of 103. Did he ever receive an Oscar?
A No, he never received an Oscar.
B. Yes, he received an Oscar for Lust for Life.
C. Yes, he received an Oscar for The Bad and the Beautiful.
D. Yes, he received an Oscar for Champion.
E. Yes, he received an Academy Honorary Award.
8. Marilyn Monroe never won an Oscar. Was she ever nominated for one.
A. Yes, for her role in Some Like it Hot
B. Yes, for Niagara
C. Yes, for The Prince and the Showgirl
D. No, she was never nominated.
E. Yes, for Bus Stop
9. Renée Zellweger has been nominated this year for her performance as Judy Garland in the film Judy. If she wins, she will garner her second Oscar. For which film did she win an Oscar?
|Renée Zellweger as Judy Garland|
A. Bridget Jones's Diary
B. Cold Mountain
D. Nurse Betty
E. Jerry Maguire
10. Sydney Poitier will turn 93 years old on February 20, 2020. He is the first black to win an Academy Award for Best Actor. For which film did he win his Oscar?
|Sydney Poitier in 1968|
A. Lilies of the Field
B. A Patch of Blue
C. Blackboard Jungle
D. A Raisin in the Sun
E. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
Raging Bull and The Godfather Part II
Robert De Niro won the 1975 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Godfather Part II. He also received the 1981 Oscar for Best Actor for his performance in Raging Bull.
James Dean was won two Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscars posthumously. He won for his performances in the 1955 film East of Eden and the 1956 film Giant.
On September 30, 1955, James Dean.was killed in a highway crash while driving his Porsche to Salinas, California to compete in an auto race. East of Eden was released a few weeks before his death. He died before Giant was edited. It was released about a year after his passing.
The Academy Awards were delayed for a week in 1938 due to a flooding in Los Angeles. In 1968, the Oscars were postponed for two days because of Martin Luther King's funeral. In 1981, they were pushed back for one day because of an assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan.
The Academy Awards were first broadcast in colour on April 18, 1966. That was 13 years after the Oscars were first televised across the United States and Canada, on March 19, 1953.
8 1/2 pounds (3.85 kilograms)
In 1996, Kirk Douglas received an Academy Honorary Award. Although he was nominated for three acting performances, he failed to win all three times. In 1950, Douglas was nominated for Best Actor for Champion. In 1953, he was nominated for Best Actor for The Bad and the Beautiful. In 1957, he was nominated for Best Actor for Lust for Life.
Marilyn Monroe was never nominated for an Academy Award.
In 2004, Renée Zellweger won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Cold Mountain. In 2003, received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her role in Chicago, but did not win. In 2002, she received an Oscar nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role for her performance in Bridget Joness's Diary, but did not win.
Lilies of the Field
|Poitier in Lilies of the Field|
|Poitier with Oscar in 1964|
In 1964, Sydney Poitier won a Best Actor Oscar for his role as a handyman who helps a group of German-speaking nuns build a chapel in Lilies of the Field. He was the only black man to win that award until Denzil Washington won it 38 years later for Training Day. Coincidentally, Denzil Washington won his Oscar on the same night in 2002 that Sydney Poitier received an Honorary Oscar from the Academy in recognition for "his remarkable accomplishments as an artist and as a human being."