My name is Joanne Madden and I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada. For three decades, I worked as a researcher and archivist at the library of the Toronto Star, the largest newspaper in Canada.
The purpose of this blog is to express my thoughts and share them with you. My intention is to connect with the readers of Number 16. Number 16 is an outlet for me and it is my fervent hope that you will enjoy reading it, that you will find it stimulating, interesting and thought-provoking. I will address my readers affectionately as Sixteeners. Sixteen has always been my favourite number and my birthday is July 16th.
* I have many interests and I hope to share them with you. I also hope to express my opinions clearly and concisely. Some of my favourite subjects are history, politics, philosophy and current events. I am an inveterate newspaper reader.
* I enjoy trivia, quotations and poetry.
* Of course, I am a bibliophile and enjoy literature and literary references. I am also a person who has a great interest in words, language and speech.
* I really enjoy films and can often be found at the movie theatre.
* I enjoy sports, especially baseball and hockey. I am an ardent Toronto Blue Jays fan.
* Since I like to travel when I have the opportunity, I will share some of my travel experiences with you on this blog.
Number Sixteen will always be a work in progress. I want it to evolve constantly.
Thank you for sharing with me,
UPDATE September 1, 2019
As of today (September 1, 2019), Nuumber 16's focus will be narrower. It will become a site devoted to language, including vocabulary, quotations, grammar and literature. I started this website back in 2010 and I have enjoyed writing it immensely. It has dealt with a wide variety of topics over the years, but the time has come to concentrate on one major area of interest.
All my writings will remain archived as well as the material on the tabs. I will continue with my monthly quotes and there will be vocabulary quizzes.