Dame Julie Andrews has claimed the title for the most bankable British star, offering a staggering 785% ROI (and £6.85 for every £1 spent) when looking at her worldwide box office sales as a leading actress in nine films. Andrews boasts a career that guarantees sales, with notable films including Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.
Steve Coogan is Britain’s least bankable actor
- Dame Julie Andrews is the British actor most likely to guarantee Box Office success, with an ROI of 785% on films with her cast at the lead.
- Daniel Radcliffe is the British male actor that will guarantee Box Office success (664% ROI) - largely
- due to the success of the Harry Potter franchise - closely followed by Rowan Atkinson (628% ROI) and Sam Worthington (622% ROI).
- ‘Mr Bean’ is one of Britain’s most successful actors. Rowan Atkinson is the fifth most bankable actor. His ROI sits at 628%, based on Box Office sales of five films, also offering £5.28 for every £1 spent ($6.58 for every $1 spent).
- Surprisingly, women are most likely to ensure a Box Office hit, with Dame Julie Andrews (785% ROI), Dame Julie Walters (737% ROI) and Dame Maggie Smith (712% ROI) in the top three. Kate Winslet (583% ROI) also features in the top 10.
- The top three actors most likely to guarantee Box Office sales are women, which is surprising as women are only cast in 32% of leading roles in the film industry.
- Steve Coogan (86% ROI) is the British actor least likely to guarantee Box Office success, followed by Ewan McGregor (144% ROI ) and Jude Law (149% ROI).
- Russell Brand (226% ROI) offers a better chance for bigger Box Office sales than Oscar winner, Sir Ben Kingsley (208% ROI) and Oscar-nominated, Jude Law (149% ROI).
- Oscars wins do not guarantee Box Office triumph. Russell Brand with an ROI of 226% is more likely to bring in sales and provide a better ROI than Oscar winners.