Okay, animal lovers. This quiz is for you. How much do you know about all kinds of pets and wild animals? How much do you know about both land and sea creatures, fish and fowl? Test your knowledge with Number 16's Animal Quiz.
Number 16 Animal Quiz
1. What is the collective name for a group of hedgehogs?
A. A troop of hedgehogs
B. An array of hedgehogs
C. A pack of hedgehogs
D. A bevy of hedgehogs
E, A colony of hedgehogs
2. Which of the following is a key difference between an alligator and a crocodile?
A. Alligators have large teeth that protrude when their mouths are closed.
B. Alligators and crocodiles are slightly different in colour. Alligators tend to have an olive brown hue, while crocodiles have a darker, almost black appearance.
C. Alligators are better able to tolerate salt water than crocodiles.
D. Crocodiles have long, narrow, V-shaped snouts. Alligators have wider, U-shaped snouts.
E. Alligators can be found in parts of North, Central and South America, and also in areas of Africa, Australia, and the southeast part of Asia. Crocodiles live in eastern China and the southern United States, especially in states along the Gulf Coast.
3. What do you call a baby rabbit?
A. A bunny
B. A cub
C. A kitten
D. A cygnet
E. A joey
4. What kind of dog is shown in the photo below?
A. German Pinscher
C. Austrian Pinscher
D. Doberman Pinscher
E. Danish Swedish Farm Dog
5. What is another name for the two-humped camel?
A. Arabian camel
E. None of the above
6. What is the name for mammals, such as kangaroos and koala bears, who carry their young in a pouch?
7. "Blind as a bat" is a very common expression. Is it true, though? Are bats really blind?
A. No, bats are not blind.
B. Yes, bats have no sight whatsoever.
C. Only young bats are blind. They gradually develop sight and they can eventually see quite well.
D. Only female bats are blind.
E Bats are not completely blind, but they are close to it. They have extremely poor vision.
8. With proper care, what is the average lifespan of a pet goldfish?
A. Approximately six moths
B About one to two years
C. About two to three years
D About four years
E. About five to ten years
9. Elephants have a longer pregnancy than any other mammal. How long is the gestation period of an elephant?
A Almost 17 months
B. Almost 22 months
C. Almost 24 months
D. Almost 26 months
E. Almost 27 months
10. The scientific name for the study of birds is
11. Which of the following statements about cats is false.
A. A female cat is called a molly or a queen.
B. A group of cats is called a clowder.
C. Cats are born with brown eyes.
D. During the Middle Ages, cats were assocated with witchcraft.
E. A cat's hearing is bether than a dog's.
10. Which of these statements about giant panda bears is false?
A. Panda bears hibernate.
B. Panda bears are more closely related to racoons than bears.
C. Although panda bears eat meat, they primarily live on plants, espeially shoots and leaves of bamboo.
D. Panda bears are in danger of going extinct.
E. None of the above.
The collective name for a group of hedgehogs is an array of hedgehogs.
- Crocodiles have long, narrow, V-shaped noses. Alligators have wider, U-shaped noses.
- Crocodiles have large teeth that protrude when their mouths are closed. The fourth tooth on each side of the lower jaw sticks up over the upper lip.
- Alligators are dark, almost black in colour, while crocodiles tend to be olive green.
- Crocodiles can better tolerate salt water than alligators. They have specialized glands for filtering out salt.
A baby rabbit is called a kitten. By the way, a cygnet is a baby swan.
Pictured above is a German Pinscher. A German Pinscher is a medium-sized breed of dog that originated in Germany. It weighs between 11-20 kilograms (25-45 pounds). Colors for this dog include black and rust, red, fawn, blue and tan.
|Bactrian camel Photo Attribution: J. Patrick Fischer|
A two-humped camel is called a bactrian. Bactrians are native to the grasslands of Central Asia.
One-humped camels are called Arabian camels or dromedaries. A cama is a hybrid. It is a cross between a male dromedary camel and a female llama,
|Opossum Photo Attibution: Wikipedia:User:Cody.pope|
Mammals, such as kangaroos, who carry their young in a pouch, are called marsupials. Other marsupials include wallabies, koalas, possums, opossums, wombats and Tasmanian devils. Marsupials are endemic to Australasia and the Americas.
Ungulates are a diverse group of hoofed mammals such as horses, camels, giraffes, cattle, pigs and rhinoceroses. Pachyderms are very large mammals with thick skin such as the elephant, the rhinoceros and the hippopotamus. A quadroped is an animal that has four feet, especially an ungulate. An omnivore is an animal that eats both plants and other animals.
Bats are not blind. However, many bats hunt insects at night and they cannot see in complete darkness. Therefore, they hunt in the dark by means of echolocation. The echoes from sounds they produce from their mouths help them locate their prey. The sounds bounce off nearby insects such as moths.
There are more than 1,300 species of bats and not all eat insects. Some feed off flowers and three Latin American bats feed off blood. Fruit bats drink nectar. They do not use echolocation and their vision is sharp.
Although pet goldfish have a reputation for not living long, they can survive an average of five to 10 years or more - provided they are taken care of properly. In the wild, they can live even longer.
|Photo atrribution: Muhammad Mahdi Karim Facebook|
According to National Geographic, "elephants have a longer pregnancy than any other mammal - almost 22 months." African elepants are the largest land mammals on the planet (Pictured above is an African Bush Elephant).
The scientific study of birds is called ornithology.
Entomology is the study of insects. Phytology or botany is the study of plants. Herpetology is the study of reptiles. Ichthyology is the study of fish.
Giant pandas do not hibernate.